If you talk of search engines, Google will certainly top your list. As much as some of you might find it difficult to admit it, it’s arguably the most intelligent search engine that you can find. Isn’t it fascinating that you can find almost any information you can think of on Google Search? This article is about How to Make Google Your Homepage on the iPhone.
Changing phones, tablets, or laptops can prove to be frustrating. Especially when your Smartphone does not have Google as your default homepage browser. Imagine having to type google.com each time you are searching for something. So how can you avoid this? How can you make Google your homepage on an iPhone?
You should, first of all, download the Chrome app on your iPhone. After you install it on your iPhone, you can proceed to set it as your default browser. Then, set up the Google homepage icon and add it to your iPhone dock (menu bar or the home screen bottom bar).
Fortunately, it has been made easier to make Google your Browser homepage on your iPhone. To learn how is the subject we will discuss in this article. So read on to find out more.
How to Make Google Your Homepage on the iPhone-Definitive Guide
Apple iPhone users can get some relief since they can add widgets and homepages to their device’s home screens starting with iOS 14. On the other hand, Google is also making strides by updating its iPhone app, which can also support home screen widgets. Home screen widgets are increasingly popular since they allow faster and quicker access to Apps (Applications) different features within iPhone devices.
This article outlines a step by step process on how you can make Google your Internet browser on the iPhone. This guide is a workaround on how you can get a Chrome browser that will open Google search as the homepage on your iPhone device.
We recommend this and other helpful articles we have written on our website. “How to Connect Your Bone Conduction Wireless Bluetooth Headphones to Your iPhone.” and “Compare Cell Phones To Satellite Phones.”
Why Change Your Browser?
Before jumping into that process, here is a glimpse of why you should set Google as your homepage on your iPhone.
- To Keep Up With What Matters To You
Google Search will help keep you up to date with all your favorite topics. It doesn’t matter if it’s sports, movies, or music; Google will always bring you regular updates in the form of Google Chrome pop-up notifications if you want them. This system keeps you just a single tap away from diving deeper into your favorite discussions.
The homepage feature for your iPhone device will give you quick access to your favorite website both from your laptop or mobile phone.
- Find Out What You Need
With the Google app and homepage, you can get ideas and inspirations from Google’s Search Page with the Google Doodle. Google Doodle (Search Bar) on the homepage from time to time changes, and you will often see what you love. Some historical figure or famous event or date. It might be a scenery picture from the Google homepage that will keep you motivated and inspire you. Just click on it and see where it takes you.
- Explore Deep And Wide
Just a single click from the Google homepage on your iPhone is what you need to get you going. Whether you want to search for something related to you or have a question that can’t wait, the Google homepage saves you time going an extra mile and having to type google.com in your default browser. Instead, you can quickly get information using the Google homepage on your iPhone’s home screen.
Follow These Steps to Make Google Your Homepage on Your iPhone.
- Download And Install The Chrome App On Your iPhone
You can’t set the Google homepage as the default homepage if you do not have the Chrome app itself on your iPhone. Follow these instructions to download it:
- Visit the app store available on your iPhone.
- Go to search
- Type in Google Chrome
- Tap get
- Double Click to Install on the right-hand Side Button
- You will be required to enter your Apple ID Password.
- Click ‘OK’
- Patiently wait for some minutes for the app to download.
- Press open
- Press the accept & continue button
- Decide if you want to sync with your other Google Chrome accounts.
- Press No Thanks or Add Account for your sync decision – You can always choose what to sync in the settings later.
- Decide whether to allow “Chrome” to use your location.
- Allow Once
- Allow While Using App
- Don’t Allow
- You can now use the Google Home Page App.
However, you should note that you require data or a stable Wi-Fi connection to download this app.
- Set Google Chrome As Your Default Browser
To make Google your homepage, you need to set the Google Chrome browser as the default browser on your iPhone. For those who already have their iPhones to iOS 14 or the latest versions, this should be easy.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open the Chrome app Chrome.
- Tap More and then Settings.
- Tap Default browser.
- Tap Open Chrome settings and then Default browser app.
- Set Chrome as your default browser app.
- Move the Google Chrome Shortcut Desktop Icon To Your iPhones Dock To Replace The Safari Icon
After making Google Chrome the default browser, move its shortcut desktop icon to your iPhones Dock to replace the Safari icon. For decades, Apple has made the Safari Icon the default browser of most iPhone gadgets.
- If you already have four (4) apps in your dock you may need to free up space on your dock to replace one.
- If so, touch and hold on to one of the apps on the dock.
- Drag the app up out of the dock and release it on your home screen.
- Touch and hold the Chrome app.
- Drag the Chrome app down and release it on your dock.
- Press the done button.
- To Set Chrome Instead Of Safari As The Default App On Your iPhone, Follow The Instructions Below.
- Go to the settings option. Take a close look at the settings so that you don’t lose your place if you want to revert to your normal settings.
- Scroll all the way down until you find the Chrome app.
- Tap ‘Default Browser’
- The Default Browser app shows you all the internet browsers installed on your iPhone.
- Press on the Chrome icon and set Chrome as your default browser application. A checkmark will appear next to the application.
- Tap the back button, then settings. You are now in settings. Swipe to go out of settings and Chrome is now your default browser on your iPhone.
Older iPhone Models
If you have an iPhone older than an iPhone SE you do not have iOS 14 on your phone. This procedure will not work.
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st generation) and iPhone SE (2nd generation)
Jailbreaking Your iPhone
As mentioned earlier, Safari is the default browser homepage for most iPhone devices. Even though it’s quite easy to add the Google Chrome homepage to your iPhone as the default browsing homepage, our primary concern is that you may have to jailbreak your iPhone if you have an older iPhone and don’t have iOS 14.
Think hard, should you jailbreak your iPhone just to set up a Google Chrome homepage or any other App? Jailbreaking involves removing or reducing the limitations (restrictions) imposed by Apple the manufacturer on their iPhones. This procedure is on devices that rely on the iOS operating system.
Jailbreaking means you are allowed full access to your device’s root operating system and its features. However, this action potentially leaves your iPhone device open to security threats and many other issues that were not anticipated in the first place. It undermines the in-built security systems provided by Apple, leaving your iPhone susceptible to malware and adware.
Despite the increased measures Apple is putting in place to protect its iPhone devices from jailbreaking, many do it anyway. Millions of applications that avoid the device permissions are being downloaded. More than often, these apps act as spy apps and collect user’s information without their knowledge.
To sum up, adding a Google homepage to your iPhone is a simple process and quite useful for many reasons. Follow the above guidelines outlined in this article and you will be good. Adding the Google homepage shouldn’t however come at the expense of Jailbreaking your phone.
Please check out our article “What Are The Best Wireless Cell Phone Chargers?”