5G is the newest mobile device technology when it comes to internet connectivity, and many countries around the world are now preparing their infrastructure to implement 5G technology. In the United States and many other developed countries, 5G has become available in many different areas. Some people are now using it on their Smartphones or tablets. But how do you know if your phone is 5G ready or if you are already using 5G?
The best way to tell if your phone is 5G ready is by checking its specs either in its manual or through online resources. However, you can also tell if it is 5G ready by looking for other signs, such as looking for the 5G icon on the Smartphone’s status bar or checking out its network settings to see if it can connect to 5G.
We are now living when 5G has become a reality. Still, you also have to consider that, today, not many phones, carriers, or cities are ready for it because of how new this technology is today. As such, you need to know whether your phone is 5G ready by knowing how to look at the signs that would point to that fact.
5G Infrastructure Being Created in America?
With 5G rolling out in many countries today, this tech has become available in different states and cities across America. Because the 5G network creation and installation is still on the rise by the carriers of wireless communication such as AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, it is still not in all cities in the U.S. or especially in rural areas.
So, suppose you happen to be in a place where 5G is already available. In that case, you have to have a phone capable of connecting to a 5G network because most of the older phones we have today are still using 4G and 4G/LTE networks.
Check some of our other articles, “5 Reasons Why You Can’t Connect to a 5 GHz Wi-Fi Network” and “Smartphone AI: Reactive Programming and Mobile Computing Machinery.”
How Do I Know If My Phone Is 5G Ready?
How would you know if your phone is 5G ready? Well, here are some of the ways for you to tell whether or not your phone can already use a 5G network:
1. Look For The 5G Icon On The Status Bar
On current 5G Smartphones, there is a 5G icon indicator on the status bar. This indicator shows you when your phone is in the range of 5G signal. It is also showing you if you have a 5G connection on your phone.
2. Check The Phone Specifications
Probably the best way to check if your phone is 5G ready without the need for you to be in a place where the 5G network is available is by checking its specifications. These Smartphone specifications contain everything you need to know about your phone.
The internet is a great source to find your Smartphones specifications through the manufacturer’s website, such as Apple, Samsung, or Google.
3. Users Manual
Of course, if you still have your phone’s user manual with you, you might want to go and check it out and look for the section where it talks about the network of your phone. That is another place to find out whether or not your phone is 5G ready.
You can also check online to see whether your phone can handle 5G on the website GSMArena.com. GSMArena.com is a website that provides detailed and accurate information about mobile phones and their features. Here is how you do it:
- Go to www.gsmarena.com, which is the most extensive database for phone specifications on the internet.
- At the top of the page, at the search bar, type your phone’s model, and a few options pop out. Choose the option that best corresponds to your phone’s model.
- After choosing your phone’s model, you will be brought to your phone’s specifications page, where you can learn everything you need to know about it from a technical standpoint.
- The “Network” part of your phone’s specs can be seen right at the top. It may also have an option for you to expand that portion of the page. Expand it, and you see your phone’s network capabilities. You will see near the bottom if it has 5G bands or not. If yes, it is 5G ready. If not, then your phone cannot handle 5G networks.
5. Check The Settings
Android Users – This option is only available to Android users, here is how you do it:
- Go to your settings.
- Choose Network and Internet.
- Find Mobile Networks.
- Look for Network Type.
- If you see the 5G option (which is usually automatic in phones capable of 5G), it follows that your phone is 5G equipped.
iPhone Users – Using 5G with your iPhone
“If an iPhone is connected to the internet via the cellular data network, an icon identifying the cellular network appears in the status bar. 5G, LTE, 4G, and 3G service on GSM cellular networks support simultaneous voice and data communications. If Cellular Data is off, all data services use only Wi-Fi.”Apple Support – Use 5G with your iPhone
Go to Settings, Cellular. The following options may also be available:
- Turn Voice Roaming on or off.
- Turn Data Roaming on or off.
- Enable or disable 4G/LTE.
- Voice & Data.
- Set up Personal Hotspot: See Share your internet connection from iPhone in this guide.
- Turn Wi-Fi Assist on or off: See the Apple Support article About Wi-Fi Assist.
Google Pixel Users – Roaming on 5G
“Roaming is when you use your phone on another carrier’s network. Some carriers allow 5G roaming. Pixel phones with 5G service can also roam on 4G and lower networks.”Understand 5G Network Compatibility & Roaming on Pixel Phones
Pixel Phones That Can Work With Which Kinds Of 5G
|Phone||Model ID||Can Work With|
|Pixel 5||GD1YQ (US)||mmWave & Sub-6|
|Pixel 4a (5G)||G6QU3 (US only, Verizon only)||mmWave & Sub-6|
To check your Pixel model, look at the bottom end of your phone’s box. Or, in your phone’s Settings app, tap About Phone, Regulatory labels, Model number.
6. Who Is The Manufacturer Of 5G Smartphones, Models, And Cost
Finally, another good way for you to look for 5G ready phones is who the manufacturers are. Not everyone is on board with manufacturing 5G Phones, including Apple, until the introduction of the iPhone 12.
Because the 5G infrastructure is not complete and still has a long way to go, Apple did not introduce its first 5G Smartphone, the iPhone 12, until October 23, 2020.
Cost is another variable for 5G network Smartphone capacities compared to other phones of the same variant. And when we say variant, we mean the exact same brand, model, and capacity.
This is a way for you to look for phones capable of 5G because 5G phones are often more expensive than other phones of the same brand, model, and capacity.
But take note that prices are not always an indication that a phone is ready for 5G because you might have just bought it early when it was still priced higher.
5G Availability In Your Area?
Is 5G even available in your area? So, suppose you think you have a phone capable of connecting to a 5G network after checking out whether or not it can connect to 5G. Make sure before purchasing there is a 5G network in your area and available through your carrier.
Remember, you can only use 5G if you are in a state or country with 5G. Of course, you should also have a cellular data plan that allows you to use 5G. If not, your phone won’t detect any 5G signals in your area even though it might be ready for 5G.
Check If Your Phone Is Connected To A 5G Network And How Fast it Is Working:
“When you’re in an area with 5G coverage for your carrier and your 5G cellular plan has been activated, you’ll see a 5G icon in the status bar of your iPhone: “Apple Support – Use 5G with your iPhone
|5G: The 5G status-bar icon.||5G+: A higher-frequency 5G status-bar icon.||5G U/W: A higher-frequency 5G status-bar icon.|
|Your carrier’s 5G network is available, and your iPhone can connect to the Internet over that network.2 Not available in all areas.||Your carrier’s higher frequency version of 5G is available, or your iPhone has an active connection over that network. Not available in all areas.2||Your carrier’s higher frequency version of 5G is available, or your iPhone has an active connection over that network. Not available in all areas.2|
- There is a 5G logo or icon at the status bar. This indicator on your Smartphone’s screen is the easiest way for you to tell if your phone is connected to a 5G network. Still, it is not always the best because some phones might show the 5G logo. However, with a carrier like AT&T, you are still only using a more advanced 4G/LTE connection that has speeds that are 4G.
- Speed test your phone by using the Speedtest app by Ookla. These tests are the most popular speed test app on the planet, and they are available for both Apple and Android: Speed Test for IOS or Speed Test for Android.
- Download the Speedtest app on your phone.
- If you are using your home or office Wi-Fi, disconnect from it, or else you will be testing out your Wi-Fi instead of your mobile data speeds. Make sure that your Mobile Data is turned on.
- Open the Speedtest app and run it. It will run a diagnostics test that will check how fast your internet speeds are.
- Based on your carrier, location, and proximity to 5G antennas and especially mmWave antennas, the Speedtest app can show tremendous speed increases.
- Meanwhile, the slower 4G/LTE mobile networks are still carrying most of the country. They will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
We have written many articles on 5G and have lots of information on the subject. “Smartphones Exciting Future: 5G, Hardware, AI, Gaming, & Apps”, “Examining 5G Technology For Smartphones”, and “Do You Need to Upgrade to a 5G Phone in a Small Town?” to name a few.